My eyes open.
It’s dark, but it’s morning. It’s winter in Finland and the house is still quiet while the rest of the family is sleeping, at least for a few more minutes. I can hear the gentle buzz of the refrigerator. I can actually hear myself think.
Each morning, I take a few seconds to be grateful. I feel it’s a great exercise to get the day started right (especially recently when my toddler has been waking up sooooo often at night. I admit it’s hard not to be a little cranky in the morning when a restful night’s sleep seems like a distant memory….).
Sometimes I think about big things to be grateful for:
- We have a roof over our heads.
- Running water.
- Food in the refrigerator.
- We are in good overall health.
Sometimes I think about the little things:
- It snowed again!
- The girls didn’t throw their jackets on the floor yesterday. Are they just maybe starting to learn to pick up after themselves…?
- One piece of Fazer sininen left for me!
And there is lots of gratefulness for everything in between:
- My mother is coming to visit!
- It’s amazing that that glass jar did not shatter when it fell over.
- My preschooler can write her name.
I recognize that not all of us have all of these blessings all the time; at the same time, I believe that we do have reason to be grateful everyday.
So I would like to thank everyone who was a part of GoKilppari! in 2016. I am grateful:
- To all the supporters, quiet and loud
- To my students and the caring adults in their lives
- To people who stopped by and said hello to the silly singing American at Maa Elää tapahtuma
- To the writers who inspire me: Tim Ferriss, Tony Robbins, Ramit Sethi
- To the musicians who inspire me: The Beach Boys, Foo Fighters, Beethoven, The Beatles!
- To the great vendors I work with: Seppälä Talo, Sahan koulu, WhyPrint
- To the attendees of our first concert
- To my family
Thank you, and I wish you bountiful contentment in 2017.
See you real soon-